Is Peanut Butter Vegan?

Answer: Yes, 99.9% of the time, Peanut Butter is vegan.

Summary: quality peanut butter is made from crushed peanuts and maybe a little bit of salt. Crappy peanut butter has hydrogenated oils and other goop added. But all those ingredients are from vegan friendly sources. Some peanut butters contain mono and diglycerides which can be from dubious sources (Jif Peanut Butter is one of those peanut butters). Other natural (and less natural) peanut butters contain honey as a natural sweetener. Best bet, watch out for crappy filler ingredients. Always buy peanut butter that is strictly peanuts. Even better, go to a store where you can grind the peanuts on demand. Nothing beats freshly ground peanut butter.

31 comments for “Is Peanut Butter Vegan?

1. Rebecca
    May 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm

What about the sugar in the p-nut butter?

• De'Ja
      September 11, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I’m trying to figure out that same question Rebecca!

• skyler
      April 1, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Go to Whole Foods and there you can grind alot of your own nut butters (almond, peanut, cashew) it’s fresh and vegan and you’ll taste the quality difference and never eat jif again

2. September 12, 2012 at 10:36 am

Personally, I won’t eat peanut butter with added sugar. It’s not necessary. The best peanut butter is always the kind that you grind yourself, that’s what I’ve always found. And for New Englanders, you can’t go wrong with Teddie Peanut Butter. Get the Unsalted variety. You can’t go wrong.

3. Elliott :)
    October 28, 2012 at 1:18 am

I’m actually gonna stop eating it because i don’t know if the sugar in the peanut butter is vegan, and i’m gonna stop drinking soda because it contains fish gelatin or something like that that comes from an animal

• @isitvegan
      October 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I’d suggest buying all natural peanut butter that contains ZERO sugar. Peanut butter doesn’t need sugar.

4. Mike
    March 8, 2013 at 10:58 am

kraft has a all natural peanut butter, all peanuts and no sodium.

5. Nicole
    March 13, 2013 at 1:53 am

I am not a vegan and this might be a stupid question but how can sugar be non-vegan when it doesn’t come from animals?

• bob
      March 21, 2013 at 3:37 pm

it isn’t that sugar itself isn’t vegan, as sources of sugar can be found in fruits and many plants, it is more a reluctance to eat pesticide sprayed genetically modified plants. if you don’t know where the sugar comes from (and there isn’t a real way to tell with peanut butter), it’s best to avoid.

• Steph
      April 26, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Sugar goes through a “cleaning-type” process that utilizes bones from animals.

• @isitvegan
        April 26, 2013 at 6:55 pm

^^^ some sugars. Not all sugars. It depends on type and manufacture.

• Kasey
      May 11, 2013 at 10:30 am

some sugar contains the bones of animals therefore we can’t eat it

• @isitvegan
        May 11, 2013 at 10:37 am

@Kasey, that’s not entirely accurate. Sometimes sugar is processed through bone char. It’s not good, but it’s not like sugar has crushed up bones in it either.

• Sara
      March 13, 2014 at 9:59 am

Sugar is not naturally white, so to make it white, it is filtered using animal bones.

6. Nicole
    March 28, 2013 at 12:30 am

Oh wow. I did not know that. Makes me wish I could grow my own everything to avoid all the toxins in commercial food. Thanks for the explanation.

7. rapurt
    May 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm

omg do you all need a life…its unreal how much people worry about nonsense. i feel bad for all of you. PLEASE do NOT breed

• May 17, 2013 at 12:52 pm

PART of the choice to become vegan for many of us is that we want a life…a longer, healthier one…you do realize how unhealthy processed foods are, right?

• Susan
        May 19, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I’m new to veganism. I’m just trying to get away from pesticides and overly processed foods that are doing more harm than help. I think I’ll feel much better once I’m on this lifestyle for a while. Looking forward to it!

• Amna S.
        June 9, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Yeah. It’s surprising when you see how ignorant some can really be. ;( I’m not a vegetarian, but have most of the same values as y’all have concerning the environment, animals, processed foods, etc. ;)

• July 27, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I eat loads of processed foods and I can guarantee I am healthier than you will ever be. I finished in the top 7 of the most recent Iron Man, and am pushing for top 3 (I’ve consistently placed in the top 20 for over 8 years).

• Lisa
          July 28, 2013 at 12:43 am

How can you guarantee that you’re healthier than me? Like really..how can you actually guarantee that other than giving me anecdotal iron man stories lol?

• everyman333
          August 28, 2013 at 10:17 am

isn’t the ironman about strength, endurance, and resilience? It’s not really about health at all is it…

• JASON GONZALES
          November 10, 2013 at 3:37 pm

People with plaque build up in their arteries, high cholesterol and blood pressure can run triathlons.

• Jason Gonzales
      November 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Do you honestly think anyone on this website cares that you feel bad for us? You go deal with what is crucial to you and we will do the same

8. Tom Johnson
    September 11, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Excuse me! Peanut butter is NOT vegan! The FDA allows there to be 30 insect parts per 100 grams. Look it up! The FDA also allows rodent hair. Again, the vast majority of peanut butter is not vegan!

9. stefanie
    October 14, 2013 at 10:45 pm

well I hope you dont eat grains and call yourself a vegan then of youre worried about peanut butter.. also i hope you dont drive, own books or walk on the sidewalk because all of these things contain animal product….and if I accidentally swallow one of my cats hairs does that mean im not vegan?

• JASON GONZALES
      November 10, 2013 at 3:31 pm

wow, why so hostile with something that doesn’t concern you

• Jessie
      November 11, 2013 at 12:09 am

It’s funny, because people like you have a lot to do with my choice to be vegan. We aren’t visiting amianirrelevantjerk.com and criticising you for being ignorant and cruel. If you don’t agree with it, don’t visit a website solely based on being VEGAN! Find something more productive and less hateful to do with your time.

10. Rachelle Kuschner
    January 17, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I don’t stand in judgement of anyone else. I am vegan now because, as an animal lover, I have done a great deal of research on how these animals are treated. I don’t want one of them to suffer, be fearful, or die in my name. We all should do what we feel is best for us and not criticize the other for doing the same. I am very happy with my decision.

11. Nick
    March 17, 2014 at 11:48 am

If it has honey in it,it is no longer vegan