The US Thanksgiving Holiday traditionally centers around giving thanks. Thanks for friends and family. Thanks for a good year. Thanks for a good life. For many US families, a center piece of this thanks is a large feast, with turkey as the main protein. Is it Vegan? Not the turkey, that’s for sure. But everything else? Well surely, it can be vegan! As long as you can dream up a feast and share the day with good people…you’ve got yourself a vegan Thanksgiving!
The bounty of the Thanksgiving Day meal can be truly amazing.Â We love a mix of tried & true favorites along with adding one or two new dishes to the mix.Â We always use a selection of trusted recipes and a heck of a lot ofÂ improvisation to get a meal going around here.
We thought it might be helpful toÂ include a recipe round-up that includes lots of amazing food writers that will hopefully help you make this yearâ€™s feast a vegan one to to remember. Weâ€™ve also included some basic ideas for dishes, as opposed to traditional recipes (since improvisation makes the holiday even more fun).
Here are some great recipes to make your Thanksgiving meal fabulous AND vegan friendly.
- Stuffed Seitan RoastÂ -Â Â or improviseâ€¦ by making theÂ Smoky Seitan Roast inÂ Vegan Diner (one of our all time favorite recipe books). ThenÂ roll out your seitan dough, cover with a vegan stuffing, roll up and steam until cooked. Let cool and slice with gravy.
- Isa Chandraâ€™s ChickpeaÂ Cutlets
- Braised Tempeh Wellington with mushrooms
- Lentil Walnut AppleÂ Loaf (YUM!)
- Vegetable Pot Pie
- Butternut & Mushroom Tart
- Gravy -Â Mushroom and Red Wine,Â Lower Fat Chickpea GravyHereâ€™s where it gets funâ€¦because vegetable are inherently vegan. There are so many ways to prepare them and veganize your favorite side dish that you Â shouldnâ€™t have to forgo anythingâ€¦even green bean casserole. (authorâ€™s biasâ€¦YUK!)
- Potatoes -Â Three Variations on Mashed Potatoes
- Cauliflower – Roasted,Â Or 399 Other Ways (many of which are vegan or easily made so)
- Mushrooms – ServeÂ Mushrooms Berkley as an appetizer with some crusty bread.
- Green Beans
- Brussel Sprouts – Shaved Raw Salad, Lemon Roasted (sub vegan butter),
- Kale – The Best Raw Salad, Sauteed, Creamed,Â Celery, Date and Apple Salad
- Sweet Potatoes – try Traditional Mashed,Â Â Roasted (sub for vegan margarine),Â Casserole
- Squash –Â Butternut Puree, Roasted, Warm SaladÂ
- Acorn Squash – Stuff or slice and coat with salt, allspice and olive oil, then bake at 400 until done.
- Carrots – Rosemary Roasted
- Cranberry: Make it yourself with orange.Â Or Â add lime and chipotle or maple or seriouslyâ€¦just open a can. Because many canned cranberry sauces are vegan.
- SautÃ©edÂ Red Cabbage with tart apple
- Caramelized Beets
- Corn Bread
- Stuffing:Â Hereâ€™s what Iâ€™ve learned stuffing comes in all shapes and sizes and it doesnâ€™t have to look pretty. Generally, you start with a small chop of fragrant veggies and maybe an apple. Add a savory element (diced seating or to tofurkey sausage), add complementary seasoning, vegetable broth, and a starch (stale bread, cornbread or wild rice.) Let this simmer together and bake in a dish or stuff it into a seitan roast, an eggplant or a portabella mushroom.
Don’t Worry – Part 2 (Vegan Desserts) is up next!!!!!!