Is A1 Steaksauce Vegan?

Answer: yes

A1 Steaksauce is a condiment produced by the Kraft Brand (please see this link for more Kraft Brand information). The steak sauce, despite being called steak sauce, is vegan. The ingredients for the original recipe are shown below.

TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), DISTILLED VINEGAR, CORN SYRUP, SALT, RAISIN PASTE, CRUSHED ORANGE PUREE, SPICES AND HERBS, DRIED GARLIC AND ONION, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), XANTHAN GUM.

Further, upon reviewing the ingredients for the rest of the brand, they all appear vegan friendly. No mention of the typical non-vegan ingredients for condiments (honey, anchovies, …).

10 comments for “Is A1 Steaksauce Vegan?

1. May 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Awesome! I’m working on a recipe and wanted to make sure it’s vegan.

2. Rebecca
    May 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Is not distilled vinegar clarified with gelatin?

3. May 19, 2012 at 1:26 am

Sometimes caramel coloring contains lactose, which is of course a milk product.
    Not always is it made from lactose, but for someone like myself, with an “allergy” to all dairy, I have to avoid it.

• @isitvegan
      May 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Everything I’ve read says lactose is rarely ever used. Have you found differently in reality?

• May 20, 2012 at 10:16 pm

No, I haven’t personally. I read about it online. I can’t take the chance since any dairy derivative makes me ill. Basically I go by the notion that most PR people have no idea what is in their products so better safe than sorry.
        I was down for 7 months with my casein problem before it was figured out. Even the slightest notion of possibly being ill like that again makes me just say no! LOL. I have a huge list of “what to look for” words that all mean dairy. Of course, being on a whole foods, plant based diet makes it really easy. Any “processed” foods I consume usually have no more than 4 ingredients, so that makes it really easy!

4. pam doyle
    September 23, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Is A1 gluten Free?

5. dove
    January 7, 2014 at 2:11 pm

AWSOME! I use A-1 sauce to add complexity to my Black Bean soup – Everyone loves it, but I want to be certain that even my Vegan Son can enjoy it without a thought.