I don’t drink craft beers. I’m straight edge. I don’t drink tea. I can’t stand the taste. But I love coffee and novelty beverages. To me, cold brew coffee began in the novelty beverage department. I’d been a diehard espresso drink (with soy) for years when I stumbled across cold brew a year or two back. But this was the year that the dam broke open. This was the year the cold brew really made a splash in the US. So without further ado (and yes, I know this isn’t exactly your typical vegan fare, I think you’ll enjoy it as much as I do), here’s the top 10 homemade brews and bottled cold brews.
Homemade Cold Brew
First, my setups. I have two current methods currently. I have a Toddy system and a Hario Mizudashi system (not even sure if that’s the manufacturer or the system name. All the directions are in Japanese). When I get the beans ground by a pro, I use the toddy. When I want a smaller batch, or a fresh grind, I use my burr grinder and the Hario. Now the list.
- Birch Coffee Cold Brew – This was seriously delicious. The best I had all year, hands down.
- Stumptown Hair Bender
- Reanimator Indonesia
- Green Street Coffee Roasters Mexicat
- Sightglass Banner Dark
- Peet’s Major Dickason’s Blend – don’t laugh. This makes an amazing cold brew in the Toddy
- Gracenote Kenya Githemebe
- Karma Coffee Ethiopian Sidamo
- Trader Joe’s Ltd Peaberry From Ethiopia – again, don’t scoff. Coffee snobs can hang with this one too
Bottled or Prepared Cold Brew
- Slingshot Cold Brew
- La Colombe Pure Black
- Chameleon Coffee – Original Cold-Brew
- Stumptown Stubby
- Grady’s Cold Brew
- Coffee By Design Rebel Brew – traditional cold brew. Straight out of Portland! Maine, that is. Love this shop, love these beans. Tasty, rich brew.
- George Howell Coffee – La Bella from Guatemala
- Haute Coffee Burundi – hot bloom
- Secret Squirrel Cold Brew. I wasn’t actually over the moon over this product. Maybe my batch was stale, I don’t know. But it didn’t floor me. It was rather flat.
Bottles & Roasters I will Track Down in 2014