Is Domino’s Pizza Vegan?

Answer (please note, we are not answering the question “is Domino’s Pizza good“): not really, minus one.

Domino’s Pizza carries 4 different crust options: Brooklyn, Deep Dish Crust and Hand Tossed Crust all have whey. The only vegan-friendly crust is the Thin Crust. This does not contain whey or other nasty dough conditioners. You can view the Ingredients Listing to verify. The pizza sauce is vegan-friendly. The crust preparation may involve non-vegan items like the Garlic Oil Blend — contains whey — or the Phase Oil (butter flavored oil) — contains “natural flavors.”

If you can convince and trust your local Domino’s to meet all your needs, you may have a thin chance of getting a vegan-friendly pizza. Before eating anything from this chain, I would suggest contacting your local pizzeria. Even better, go hit up your local vegan pizza spot. I can’t say enough good things about my local spots: Peace O Pie and Veggie Planet. Check em out!

33 comments for “Is Domino’s Pizza Vegan?

1. hemp
    June 19, 2011 at 8:30 am

Also youll need to make some creamy soy cheese. See the link for and follow the recipe.Lay out your pre-made crust. There are several kinds at your local health food storepick according to your preference.Rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil evenly over the surface of the crust and sprinkle with granulated garlic.Pick your tomato sauceAs you see I am using Trader Joes Tomato Basil Marinara which is actually quite good on its own. I have become a tomato sauce snob over the years and usually prefer to make my own. However for this monstrosity of a meal we will keep the sauce simple.Slather some sauce aroundlight or heavyyou decide this recipe is interactive.Now let the adventure begin!!Add the nuggets covering 1 3 of the pizza. NextAdd your assembled Boca burgers to another third of the pizza. I am using 3 however smaller sized crusts may only need 2. Are you drooling or shaking your head in disgust! Im partial.Now the fries to the last third. Yes Im speechless too.A tantalizing view from above.Add your creamy soy cheese liberally to the Vegan McAwesomeness.All cheesed up and ready to go into your 425 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes.A little pre-cooked cheesy close up.McWhaaaaatt! Fresh out of the oven!Wowlook at those McMountains of Vegan McFabulousness!!!Only one thing left to doSlice and Eat!! Your little ole pizza cutter wont get though this terrain so use a good sized kitchen knife.

2. February 21, 2012 at 1:20 am

Haha, I thought this was a joke! Why would any vegan eat at Dominos?

• @isitvegan
      February 21, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Your guess is as good as mine. But if they wanted to, they could.

• Tori
      December 7, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Why wouldn’t a vegan eat at Domino’s? We live in the same world you do and we also like pizza. Personally, I don’t care about traces of whey in the crust – I pretty much just order veggie pizza with no cheese and don’t concern myself with minor ingredients. Life’s too short to worry about such small matters and I don’t think that little bit of whey really makes a difference. My kitchen is 100% vegan, but when I eat out, I focus on enjoying myself rather than obsessing over every ingredient.

That said, I’m happy to know that the thin crust and also the gluten-free crust are both vegan. Given that too much gluten makes my skin break out, I’ll probably order gluten-free crust most of the time and I’ll have the comfort of knowing that such a pizza is 100% vegan :)

• KK
        July 27, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Well said! I agree and practice the same

• jay160
        August 9, 2013 at 12:57 pm

you don’t obsess over small ingredients like whey? you do understand that you’re still supporting the dairy and veal industry, right? that means you’re not vegan.

• thinkaboutit
        January 29, 2014 at 2:27 pm

If you’ve been 100% vegan long enough, you will taste that whey in the bread, I guarantee! I have actually tasted whey in bread twice where it was not labeled as such but was verified by the manufacturer that it was an ingredient. Eating it made me want to literally throw up. That’s how I knew it was tainted. What if you knew there was “just a little poo” in that dough? Would you eat it? Most vegans find the thought of eating something from an animal just as offensive as knowing the wok pan that just cooked your veggies was cooking rat or dog meat in it just prior to cooking your order. The longer you are vegan, the more you start thinking about all of these issues of contamination. It’s your right to ignore what you’re eating for the sake of convenience, but I can always grab a banana, apple and some nuts on the road when I’m stuck. The net effect of “being stuck” is that I have excellent health for a middle aged man. It all adds up. I’m delighted that most of the nasty chain restaurants don’t accommodate vegans. If they did, I’d be eating a lot more salt, sugar, refined white flour, and veggies out of cans. Luckily I live in the Pacific NW where vegan restaurants are abundant in most major cities.

3. Jim
    February 23, 2012 at 9:48 pm

A vegan would eat at Domino’s because, if you are stuck in the Houston Airport Marriott, like I am right now, with a cancelled flight and no other options but some place that delivers, your choices are Papa John’s or Domino’s.

• Weeona
      June 17, 2014 at 10:13 pm

FWIW, Papa John’s is much more vegan safe than Dominos, last I checked. :)

4. Ana
    March 10, 2012 at 5:22 am

Agreed! Just because you are vegan does not mean you will never eat ‘junk’ food.
    Some ppl might be vegan for health reasons, but a lot of ppl are vegan because of
    animal cruelty. Plus, it is not easy to be vegan and fast food free, when you are not
    a home body, travel a lot or work long hours and are exhausted to cook or hunt all
    over town some nights for vegan food!

5. March 26, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I have to disagree with the notion that Dominoes pizza is potentially vegan. My experience of dominoes is that they use the same cooking implements, knives, chopping boards and surfaces for all their food making it entirely likely that meat or animal products will make it into your pizza. My local Dominoes store puts a disclaimer on it’s vegetarian pizza that they can’t guarantee there will be no meat on it. So I wouldn’t trust them an inch.

Also, cheap fast food joints typically use the worst, cheapest quality meats and dairy products (read: made in cruel over crowded conditions). Even if you aren’t eating their meat you are still giving them your money and thus endorsing what they do. That is why I am amazed that any vegan (esp. ones that are vegan because of animal cruelty, Ana) would support Dominoes.

• jesus
      January 5, 2014 at 1:03 am

I actually work at Domoinos and if you want them to wipe the blade before they touch your pizza they will. If anyone orders a pizza without cheese it’s mandatory that we treat it as someone with an allergy and open all new containers.

6. Skuud
    April 27, 2012 at 10:34 pm

“Even if you aren’t eating their meat you are still giving them your money and thus endorsing what they do.”

Okay K-bobo, but you have to look at the bigger picture here… Dominos is a huge pizza chain that is not going to suffer from losing the business of America’s relatively minuscule vegan population. On the other hand, using your money to endorse vegan options at chains like Dominos will show major companies that there is a market for cruelty-free products– and the more chains begin to offer vegan options, the easier it will be for the average American to eat vegan at least some of the time. Sparing the lives of millions of animals by making veganism more accessible is a much more reasonable and attainable goal than bringing down every major pizza chain by boycotting their business because someone’s pepperoni touched your pizza… Don’tcha think?

• Kassy
      January 23, 2013 at 6:07 pm

THANK YOU!

• Drea
      June 3, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Agreed

• Laura
      November 27, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I agree with Skuud. Even the PETA website provides this approach:
      “While PETA supports a strict adherence to veganism, we put the task of vigorously reducing animal suffering ahead of personal purity. Boycotting products that are 99.9 percent vegan sends manufacturers the message that there is no market for that particular food, which ends up hurting more animals. For a more detailed explanation of PETA’s position, please visit http://www.caringconsumer.com/labels.asp.”

7. Remi
    November 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Oh jesus christ this is why people laugh at vegans. Im vegan and I will eat a vegan meal from anywhere if I want to. Stop being all high and mighty because your vegans. No one cares. Trust me. Take the sticks out of your behind and relax a little bit it won’t hurt you I promise. Supporting any veggie options from anywhere matters. People eating less meat in a week matters. Not everyone has to be the same as you. Im vegan because I care about animal rights and I think that every single thing people do to cut out animal products in their life matters. Stop being closed minded and rude. The more accessible veggie options are for people the more they will choose those options. Its about the cause not judging other vegans.

• Chunk
      April 6, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I find some of the comments refreshing (such as yours) because I was recently forced to leave a vegan fb page because I could not stand the up tight, close minded, ill informed behavior that makes all vegans seem completely insane.

• April 6, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I should have proofread this before submitting. My apologies.

• @isitvegan
        April 6, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Thanks, Chunk. We try not to sound to aggro when making the world a better place.

• jay160
      August 9, 2013 at 12:59 pm

wow… you really like name calling. talk about judgmental and rude.

• Vegangal5
      September 21, 2013 at 9:18 am

Thank you for a perfect refreshing response Remi…:) My gosh – people need to sort it out…VEGAN here… and VERY uptight about my diet..but ordering a cheese-less pizza from a chain does not cancel out everything else we do to help animals and cut down on animal cruelty..how ridiculous and hypercritical some people are eh!

8. Clementine
    December 25, 2012 at 1:35 am

Amen to all these soul-livin’ vegans spreading the love, and not the judge.

9. gummywyrm
    February 11, 2013 at 7:21 pm

It really smells when you just start a vegan diet, look for advice and just find a bunch of self worshipping, pretentious jerks. Kind of makes me reconsider even calling myself vegan if thats the group of people I am going to be lumped into.

• GT
      December 17, 2013 at 11:59 am

I dare say most of the “it’s not vegan” comments aren’t made by people who’ve been vegan 10+ years. Plenty of people are saying both “I’m vegan” and “don’t worry about it”, because nearly every definition of vegan (especially the original) includes a caveat like “as much as reasonably possible”. That’s because it’s impossible to 100% avoid animal products. Every vegan lives the life of compromise. Including the person who coined the term, as he explained.

When it’s not reasonable to avoid fast food, it is easy to select which choice available is “most vegan”. I have no heard another real, experienced ethical vegan is likely to say otherwise. However, if I walked across the street and ate at MdC’s I wouldn’t be making the “as best as reasonably possible” choice.

• GT
        December 17, 2013 at 12:17 pm

btw, “as best as reasonably possible” is a very, very high bar to reach. It’s not the same as “however lazy I feel”.

10. kitti white
    March 30, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I find that making the right choices and sharing these options with otherwise nonvegans opens the door to more people to see that there are easily accessible and very tasty options at any restaurant. I can not save every animal but I can educate others by showing them the way they can eat meat and dairy free anywhere and still be satisfied .

11. Beeniewoman
    July 12, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Sorry but I disagree, as a vegan you NEED to be anal or retarded about food – cos no-one caters for you!…and its not easy. I am lucky in that I have indian parents who both cook, so I learnt early to cook for myself and as pompous as I am about my food – I know MY food is the best (for me). Yes I havent made the drop dead pizza yet :-( But my curries I LOVE. And to be this good, it takes work commitment and effort. I am proud of my “arrogance” cos I dont have to eat at a crap restaurant or eat food that is just OK, I can make amazing food and keep trying. I am proud to be a vegan, and whilst I dont go around preaching to non-vegans I think we SHOULD stand tall (I am only sharing cos I do get fed up with vegan bad press)…we all give a crap whilst others PRETEND animals dont matter. Sorry but I have some great points and when I actually make the perfect pizza my life will be even more awesome than my recent cake recipes! whoop whoop. Enjoy your weekend you crazee vegan heads :-)

• Gantie
      October 14, 2013 at 5:24 pm

“anal and retarded”?? It’s quite offensive to both people who are retarded and people who are careful about what they eat to use the word retarded.

12. Vegangal5
    September 21, 2013 at 9:24 am

Why would anyone be proud of their arrogance? Or of being vegan? I’m a vegan myself and cannot understand being proud of a food choice! It’s like saying I’m proud too be gluten free…or I’m proud to eat meat…you get my point,… it’s a bit weird and is also where most of the issues come from – vegans being proud of themselves.

• @isitvegan
      September 21, 2013 at 3:37 pm

@Vegangal5 — vegans, at least the ethical and moral kind, should be proud of themselves. They are saving animals daily and are setting a great example for others. Vegans rock!

13. Kassandra
    November 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Wow. This post is somewhat ignorant. Not everyone lives in a place where vegan take out is readily available. This is why people hate vegans. Quit judging people.

• GT
      December 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm

This is also why other vegans don’t like those same people. They’re judging other vegans far more than non-vegans.

Calling themselves (and by extension all “real” vegans) “retarded” and “anal” is literally being judgmental, and intended to offend. Most other vegans I’ve met would not say things like that.